Session 3 - Practical resources: what to expect and how to help
This session will provide an overview for those seeking to gain an understanding of the practical and supportive resources available.
Presentation will provide access to practical and supportive resources to assist with caring for someone diagnosed with breast or ovarian cancer by :
- Coordination of day to day life: What does she want to do, what does she need help with? “Don’t treat me like I’m helpless – decide together”
- Changing roles: coping and providing care through changing household dynamics
- Communicating with family and friends ongoing – how much do they need to know? How they can support you?
- Dealing with your own emotions: loss of control, loss of what was, fear of what may be – how to manage/process these while caregiving
- Care planning – including transportation, childcare, meals, household duties
- How to engage supportive family & friends in a productive way i.e. care schedules, menus, etc
- Impact of diagnosis and treatments on her mood, energy, and spirit: somewhat unpredictable – don’t take it personally?!
These topics will be addressed during this conference and will be followed by a question/answer period.
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE CAREGIVER COMPANION for families supporting loved ones with breast or ovarian cancer.
Watch the Partners in Care Cancer Series : Caregivers, survivors, and health care professionals talk about the importance of the caregiver in the breast and ovarian cancer journey. Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3 – Part 4