Session 1- Understanding breast cancer and how to support your partner through her diagnosis and treatment
This session will provide an overview for those recently diadnosed with the intent of offering information, practical resources, and decision-making strategies to help cope with the initial treatment phase.
Presentation on how to better understand breast cancer and how to be a supportive caregiver throughout treatment by:
- Understanding common responses to a breast cancer diagnosis and how to be supportive to her during that time (practical and emotional)
- Brief overview of breast cancer care and how it is delivered
- Understanding different coping styles including information needs
- How to support your partner through her diagnosis and treatment
- Importance of having the information you need (both you and your partner) to adjust to this reality, and make informed decisions. Prioritizing questions to ask the doctors including sample questions
- Living with the unknowns as treatment plan is a process and develops over time not all known upfront
- Deciding how the news and ongoing updates will be shared and with whom
- How to communicate and process your own emotions during this time
These topics will be followed by a question/answer period.
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE CAREGIVER COMPANION for families supporting loved ones with breast or ovarian cancer.
Watch the Partners in Care Cancer Series : Caregivers, survivors, and health care professionals talk about the importance of the caregiver in the breast and ovarian cancer journey. Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3 – Part 4