Session 6 - Living with metastatic breast or ovarian cancer
This session will offer practical and emotional understanding of the issues unique to caring for someone living with a metastatic breast or ovarian cancer diagnosis.
Presentation will include:
- Brief overview of treatment approaches for advanced cancer, including clinical trials
- Importance of having the information you need (both you and your partner) to adjust to this reality, and make informed decisions
- Prioritizing questions to ask the doctors including sample questions
- How to support your partner through this diagnosis and adjusting as a couple to the new reality and prognosis
- Communicating through difficult decisions “preparing for the worst while hoping for the best”:
- How to communicate ongoing treatment/changes with your immediate and extended family, as well as friends, and colleagues.
- How to communicate and process your own emotions during this time
- Resources for long-term caregivers:
- End-of-life planning
- Respite and hospice care
- Supportive services and resources
These topics will be addressed during this conference and will be followed by a question/answer period.
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE CAREGIVER COMPANION for families supporting loved ones with breast or ovarian cancer.
Watch the Partners in Care Cancer Series : Caregivers, survivors, and health care professionals talk about the importance of the caregiver in the breast and ovarian cancer journey. Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3 – Part 4